[OpenWrt-Devel] netifd: per-interface MTU settings vs per-route MTU settings?

Michael Jones mike at meshplusplus.com
Mon May 25 13:21:18 EDT 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 8:00 AM Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
wrote:

> Other protocol handlers, like uqmi, are also able to setup the MTU,
> and instead of doing it via proto_send_update, they just do it like
> this:

>                 echo "Setting MTU to $mtu"
>                 /sbin/ip link set dev $ifname mtu $mtu
>         }
>
> I guess we can do the same in the ModemManager protocol handler.

That does seem like it would work, but I'm wary of race conditions with the
message sent to netifd via ubus, and further feel like it would be better
to have netifd learn how to set the mtu directly, if it doesn't already
know how.

Are any of the netifd project's contributors able to comment on this?