[OpenWrt-Devel] Fix for missing kernel stack-protector in x86_64 glibc builds

Ian Cooper iancooper at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 10:23:56 EDT 2020

Yes, it appears we can handle uclibc the same way

Uclibc-ng supports SSP in the library itself, so use of GCC_LIBSSP can eliminated. I'll do some testing ...

config UCLIBC_HAS_SSP
        bool "Support for GCC stack smashing protector"
        depends on !HAVE_NO_SSP
        help
          Add code to support GCC's -fstack-protector[-all] option to uClibc.
          This requires GCC 4.1 or newer.  GCC does not have to provide libssp,
          the needed functions are added to ldso/libc instead.

          GCC's stack protector is a reimplementation of IBM's propolice.
          See http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/ and
          http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/ssp.txt
          for details.

          Note that NOEXECSTACK on a kernel with address space randomization
          is generally sufficient to prevent most buffer overflow exploits
          without increasing code size.  This option essentially adds debugging
          code to catch them.