[OpenWrt-Devel] netifd: per-interface MTU settings vs per-route MTU settings?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 25 03:13:45 EDT 2020

Hey,

>> There's an ongoing discussion in the ModemManager package in github
>> related to how the MTU may be configured in the network interface
>> based on what the MM bearer object reports:
>> https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/11383
>>
>> E.g.:
>>
>> $ ip route show
>> default via 25.225.105.222 dev wwan0 proto static src 25.225.105.221 mtu 1430
>>
>> Looks like the protocol handler implementation for netifd may allow
>> setting the MTU to the routes associated with the network interface,
>> instead of assigning the MTU value to the interface itself. Are both
>> methods completely equivalent? Is there any reason to avoid setting
>> the MTU in the interface when using netifd, or just not implemented
>> yet?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Aleksander
>> https://aleksander.es
>

> I'm actually not aware of any method to set the interface MTU via netifd that isn't a UCI setting.

While running as a protocol handler under netifd, we can do this while
setting up the default route:
  proto_add_ipv4_route "0.0.0.0" "0" "${gateway}" "${address}"
"${metric}" "${mtu}"
And the given ${mtu} will be set for the route created.

What we're looking for is a way to setup the MTU for the whole network
interface from within the protocol handler automatically.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es