[OpenWrt-Devel] Ubus based service watchdog?

Michael Jones mike at meshplusplus.com
Wed May 13 13:48:49 EDT 2020

I have a critical service on my OpenWRT system that needs monitoring and
re-starting if it's failed.

I've been looking for a mechanism in procd that would allow me to request
that my service be terminated if it did not periodically notify some
watchdog endpoint via ubus.

It seems to me like this is not something that is currently supported by
procd, and I've written my own clumsy "watchdog" wrapper program that tries
to do the job.

Are there any plans to support a feature like this in procd directly in the
future?

If there are no plans, and I were to write code for this, would OpenWRT be
interested in reviewing, and then merging, patches?

Are there other people on this list who would take advantage of this
feature if it were available? If so, what functionality would you like to
see?