[OpenWrt-Devel] [ModemManager] How can I make ModemManager work right?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 11 03:33:42 EDT 2020

Hey,

> I checked the vid:pid. It is "1519:0443". I found this via lsusb -v:
>
> SIERRA WIRELESS HL7528
> root at LEDE:~# lsusb -v
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1519:0443   <<<<<<<<<
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003
>
> But I changed modem to new one because you said Sierra HL7528 would only work with ppp method and it's not supposed to be.
> Now I am testing with QUECTEL EC25-E MINIPCIE / EC25EFA MINIPCIE.
>
> It's vid:pid is shown:
>
> root at LEDE:~# lsusb -v
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2c7c:0125   <<<<<<<<<
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003
>
> And now with this modem most prints look good:
>
> root at LEDE:~# mmcli -m 0
>   --------------------------------
>   General    |            dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
>                 |            device id: 97ffc2eeb6d3ad975d9089850aa3b9b494529919
>   --------------------------------
>   Hardware |         manufacturer: Quectel
>                |                model: EC25
>                |    firmware revision: EC25EFAR04A02M4G_SKT
>                |            supported: gsm-umts, lte
>                |              current: gsm-umts, lte
>                |         equipment id: 356673040475612
>   --------------------------------
>   System    |               device: /sys/devices/platform/1a0c0000.usb/usb1/1-2
>                 |              drivers: option
>                 |               plugin: Quectel
>                 |         primary port: ttyUSB2
>                 |                ports: ttyUSB0 (qcdm), ttyUSB2 (at), ttyUSB3 (at)

Unfortunately, this device is not yet using QMI. If you attempt to
connect it, it would be connected via PPP. This is not a problem of
the device, your system is lacking proper QMI support.

> I only enabled QMI via make menuconfig of openwrt.

You probably didn't do this right.

> I didn't enable MBIM via make menuconfig of openwrt.
> I didn't look at the make kernel_menuconfig of openwrt.
>
> The state of Status is "enabled" and the registration of 3GPP is "idle". Does this mean the modem is connected to the bearer/operator network and the data usage is enabled?

No. Status "enabled" means that your modem is not even registered in
the network!

> I found a documentation:
> https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/network/network-manager/docs/configure-cellular-connections
>
> This document shows using of "nmcli" to setup network interface like wwan.
> Do I need this also? I guess though.
> Do I need NetworkManager? If so, where can I get it? I searched from the place ( https://github.com/openwrt/packages.git ) where ModemManager for openwrt exist, but NetworkManager is not found there.

I've never seen an openwrt system using NetworkManager instead of
netifd, so not sure if that exists at all.

> And from the prints above, there are errors for "mmcli -b 0" and "mmcli -m 0 --list-bearers" I don't guess these errors are important but are they?

Those errors just mean that no bearer object was created. There was no
bearer object created because the modem isn't even registered in the
network.

> F.Y.I. Let me show you entry for /etc/config/network
>
> config interface 'broadband'
>         option device '/sys/devices/platform/1a0c0000.usb/usb1/1-2'
>         option proto 'modemmanager'
>         option apn 'lte-internet.sktelecom.com'
>
> With this prints can I judge that the ModemManager is ported and working well?

No, not at all, a lot of work is still missing to integrate that
correctly I'm afraid.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es