[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC][lantiq] Custom PHY and ethernet/switch driver

Andreas Böhler dev at aboehler.at
Sat Mar 28 06:26:47 EDT 2020

Hi,

I'm currently adding support for the AVM FRITZ!Box 3390 and 3490
devices. Both require a firwmare upload via MDIO to boot the separate
WiFi SoC.

In the corresponding PR at [1] we had a discussion on where to best
implement this MDIO downloader. As a consequence, I posted to
linux-netdev [2] and got the advice to implement it in an MDIO device
(custom PHY).

I did a quick test on my FRITZ!Box using kernel 5.4. With some changes
to the .dts and sysctrl.c (clock gates), the switch and ethernet drivers
came up. So far, only the Lantiq GPHYs work, the two Atheros GPHYs do not.

If I've understood the kernel code correctly, I don't need any changes
to the DSA switch driver because the PHYs are handled by the phylink
library. However, the legacy xrx200 driver would need to be patched
separately.

What is the current state in switching to the upstream DSA switch driver?
Can both drivers be handled, i.e. DSA for newly added devices and the
legacy driver for older devices?
Which driver should I target first, the legacy xrx200 or the DSA driver?

Please keep in mind that it's going to take some time for the
implementation, since my current firmware upload tools are experimental
userspace tools.

Thanks,
Andreas

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2662