[OpenWrt-Devel] netifd: per-interface MTU settings vs per-route MTU settings?

Reuben Dowle reuben.dowle at 4rf.com
Mon Jun 1 22:39:21 EDT 2020

When changing an interface MTU direct through ip command, netifd will get be out of sync. The netifd internally tracked MTU (discoverable through ubus call network.device status '{"name":"xxx"}' call will always show 1500 (or whatever the value was when netifd discovered/created the interface).

I am not aware of any actual issues caused by this, but it is worth considering.

Finding some method to update through ubus is preferable in my opinion.

For the project I have been working on, we added a ubus network.device set_attr method to netifd to solve this problem – see attached patch. Then you can use this in the protocol handler:

        [ -n "$mtu" ] && {
                echo "Setting MTU to $mtu"
                /sbin/ubus call network.device set_attr "{\"device\":\"$ifname\", \"mtu\":\"$mtu\"}"
        }

________________________________

[cid:4RFLogo(Custom)(2)_0f31a7de-6dd6-43cf-bc6a-a097a2b80b69.jpg]
Reuben Dowle
Software Architect

Phone:

Fax: