Simplified LuCI interface project: dashboard, quick setup, configuration

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh henrique at nic.br
Fri Jul 31 11:12:08 EDT 2020

On 31/07/2020 07:30, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> On 18-07-20, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
>>> - quick setup: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4141
>>> - configuration: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4186
>>
>> This needs more discussion and feedback.
>>
>> There is one interesting question (on the github pull request): should the
>> quick setup configure the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, or two
>> different SSID?
>>
>> I remember that some clients had trouble switching between channels if the
>> same SSID is used, which is why I pushed for two different SSID.  Does
>> anybody has current experience with this?
>
> As there has been no negative feedback about this, we will move to
> configure the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz in the quick setup.
> This will simplify the user experience.

We have never tested it, but we did notice vendors nowadays, as well as
the *large* ISPs witht their own CPEs and firmware, append _2G and _5G
(or do something to that effect) to the default SSID.

>> As always, keep in mind that this should match the common needs of casual
>> users: advanced users can always go to the current Wireless menu.

It can also be argued that casual users are better off with two networks
they can trivially use for separate things.  Videogames and Smart TVs on
5G, cellphones and tablets on 2G.

This is not a "special use case", you'll find lots of friends telling
their friends to do it that way, etc.

IMHO, you could do it this way and still keep it very simple:

Network Name (also knonw as SSID):  XXXX
[ ] assign different names for each radio

Then you'd get all radios with SSID "XXXX"

Network Name (also knonw as SSID):  XXXX
[X] assign different names for each radio

Then you'd get XXXX_2G, XXXX_5G, and on APs with many radios, XXXX_5G2, etc.

Nice and simple.  No need for a [x] that triggers an UCI form change
that asks for separate SSIDs (although *that* would work as well).

--
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh