Wiki: Device support policies/best practices

mail at adrianschmutzler.de mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Sun Jul 19 21:24:36 EDT 2020

Hi,

inspired by a discussion on IRC, I have created a Wiki page to collect some common/best practices for device support submissions:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/device-support-policies

I've so far linked this here:
https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches#dts_checklist
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/add.new.device

This is meant to provide some ideas on how things can be done nicely, but it is _not_ meant as a new set of rules.

Essentially, most of the stuff there is a collection of things I have written more than 20 times when reviewing device support PRs somewhere.
Now, I have the ability to link to the extensive description instead of writing it another time.

If somebody disagrees with something stated there, feel free to add a different view, weaken the statement, or remove it entirely.

Of course, you may also add stuff I didn't think of for this first version. :-)

Best

Adrian