'tr' character class support?

Eric Luehrsen ericluehrsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 21:36:03 EDT 2020

On 7/10/20 8:15 PM, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

> On 2020-07-10 16:59, Rosen Penev wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Jordan Geoghegan <jordan at geoghegan.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, but this means that any script expecting tr to work correctly could
>>> explode, as tr silently ignores the character class and treats all the
>>> characters literally.
>> git grep upper | grep tr\ | wc -l
>> 3
>>
>> In the packages feed. All those results are things that run on the
>> host, not on OpenWrt.
>>
>> tr a-z A-Z works as an alternative and is used in many places.
> tr a-z A-Z is bad practice as it can behave unexpectedly in different
> locales; I've also heard tales of folks with Turkish locales having
> issues with '0-9' for example.
> Is a couple kb of space worth such a loss in portability (not to mention
> deviating heavily from POSIX)?

Unless there is an overwhelming size cost, basic POSIX binaries should
be provided "POSIX'ly correct" by default. Applying experimental theory,
a discipline's standard is the null hypothesis (H0) which is the default
decision. A deviation to the standard and especially _shorting_ the
standard is the alternate hypothesis (H1) and requires good data with
separation to accept. (standards often permit well formulated extensions
to them.)