'tr' character class support?

Magnus Kroken mkroken at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 17:15:48 EDT 2020

Hi Jordan

On 10.07.2020 22:45, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Does the 'tr' utility support character classes in OpenWRT? I was
> playing around with an OpenWRT x86_64 VM and I noticed that 'tr' doesn't
> seem to support character classes.
> The command " echo HELLO | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' "  does not
> convert to the text to lowercase as it should (and as required by
> POSIX).
This would be expected behavior. OpenWrt disables tr character classes
in BusyBox by default, see [1]:

config BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TR_CLASSES
         bool
         default n
config BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_FEATURE_TR_EQUIV
         bool
         default n

I don't know what the size cost in the BusyBox binary is, but that will
likely be the deciding factor for such a change.

1:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/utils/busybox/Config-defaults.in

Regards,
Magnus Kroken