[OpenWrt-Devel] Migration in ath79 for swapped ethernet

Piotr Dymacz pepe2k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:18:34 EST 2020

Hi Adrian,

On 28.01.2020 16:59, Adrian Schmutzler wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> There is easy way to check GMACx <> ethX assignment order in mach-*.c
>> files. Just check order of ath79_register_eth() calls:
>>
>> ath79_register_eth(0);
>> ath79_register_eth(1);
>>
>> Will register GMAC0 as eth0, GMAC1 as eth1
>>
>> ath79_register_eth(1);
>> ath79_register_eth(0);
>>
>> Will register GMAC1 as eth0, GMAC0 as eth1 (current ath79 "order")
>
> I thought that once as well, but then found several cases where I couldn't rely
> on it for eth0/eth1 order on running device. (But it's too long ago for me to be
> more specific.)

There are two things here:
1. Mapping of physical ports to kernel interface naming.
2. Mapping of kernel interfaces to 'our' LAN/WAN system interfaces.

AFAIK, there wasn't any official or general rule about what should be
LAN and WAN (in terms of mapping ethX to 'our' LAN/WAN), so it was
always up to the device support author (personally I preferred to have
LAN on eth0). And as you can see above, ar71xx allowed two different
orders in which ethX interfaces where registered in kernel.

> Despite, from what I understand our current problem is the driver implementation
> in ath79, which needs to skip/delay initialization in certain cases.
> So, it's not so much about finding out the situation on ar71xx, but
> understanding the situation in ath79 as well. All-in-all, I think this will come
> down to having to check each device manually.

More or less, yes.

>> > See above, yes, I effectively abandoned that.
>>
>> Got it, so alternative solution is required.

>> > That's how I feel. For me, this always looked like a hack to me (based on my
>> shallow level of understanding, though).
>> > There might be special cases where this is necessary (e.g. force a device to
> be
>> eth0 due to failsafe), but I still do not like it.
>>
>> I was considering also aliases in DTSes.
>
> One could use that for failsafe (actually quite an interesting idea) and for
> specifying the corresponding ethX in ar71xx. However, this still won't help us
> with the migration script itself.

Lets forget about migration scripts now and try to find a way to keep
old interfaces mapping in ar71xx the same in ath79, using DTS only.
As I wrote already, it's just semantics.

--
Cheers,
Piotr