[OpenWrt-Devel] hostapd and Linux bridges

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Tue Jan 21 14:22:00 EST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 07:40:42PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> writes:
>
> > On proprietary APs it looks like port isolation is enabled or disabled
> > globally in Linux' bridge code using sysctl or other methods, an
> > approach which is unlikely to get accepted into the Kernel, also given
> > that the netlink interface already exists and allows doing the same
> > thing in a more granular fashion.
>
> Huh?
>
> Won't this sysfs attribute set the same flag IFLA_BRPORT_ISOLATED sets?
>

> root at wrt1900ac-1:~# grep . /sys/class/net/br-lan/brif/*/isolated
> /sys/class/net/br-lan/brif/eth0.7/isolated:0
> /sys/class/net/br-lan/brif/wlan0/isolated:0
> /sys/class/net/br-lan/brif/wlan1/isolated:0

Looks like that's the thing I may have missed ;)
Yet we do need a way to set this to '1' once hostapd adds the AP
interface to the bridge. I'm not sure whether setting this via
sysfs is actually more simple than using netlink given that some
general purpose netlink code is already part of hostap.
In the end, either approach would be fine with me and I would
implement whatever is more likely to be merged into hostap.git.

Cheers

Daniel