[OpenWrt-Devel] tools/firmware-utils/mkcameofw not found

Heppler, J. Scott shep971 at centurylink.net
Mon Feb 24 11:21:21 EST 2020

Some D-Link/Trendnet devices use a cameo signature and I found prior
posts regarding appending about 40 bytes of code to rootfs.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/699611/

The post suggested the use of tools/firmware-utils/mkcameofw.
Presently, a build had the error that mkcameofw (also tried cameofw) was
not found.

If one looks at the OpenWRT device pages for both the D-Link DIR-810L
B1 and the Trendnet TEW-810DR, both describe using ncc_att_hwid to
append the signature.  ncc_att_hwid is included in ghe GPL source
package from both D-Link and Trendnet and can also be obtained from
DD-wrt.

https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-810l
https://openwrt.org/toh/trendnet/trendnet_tew-810dr_1.0_1.1

Couple of points:
1.  mkcameofw seems to be broken and unused.  Both the device pages
describe the use of GPL'd ncc_att_hwid after the build for the initial
install.

2.  I've searched for the documentation for ncc_att_hwid and cameo
signature and only came up with it being applied in OpenWRT/DD-wrt.

3.  Users are working around the broken code manually.

4.  ncc_att_hwid is GPL'd and could be included in the build tree.

--
J. Scott Heppler