[OpenWrt-Devel] Harmonize brcm/bcm target names

Adrian Schmutzler mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Fri Feb 7 09:12:29 EST 2020

Hi,

currently we have several Broadcom based targets named after that:
- bcm53xx
- brcm47xx
- brcm63xx
- brcm2708

As you can see, the names are inconsistent with respect to bcm vs. brcm.

While kernel has codified "brcm" for the vendor name in compatible [1], the
target names are about the hardware and we use "bcm" for SOC/CPU ID inside those
targets anyway (so, typical compatible would be brcm,bcm96328avng).

I'd thus like to make this consistent and name the targets:
- bcm53xx
- bcm47xx
- bcm63xx
- bcm2708

This would mean to always use bcm when referring to board/SOC/CPU, and only use
brcm for the vendor in compatible/device node name.

So, please stop me if there is some reason for not touching it.

Best

Adrian

[1]
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/