Bind + ISC dhcpd integration (for intranet split-horizon, etc)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 14 21:24:32 EST 2020

Hi,

I’m the maintainer of ISC-DHCP.

I’m trying to do the integration “glue” to allow one to operate a DNS private zone inside your intranet (aka “split horizon”) and prime it with both static data as well as DHCP lease information.

Ideally this could be done with a minimum of UCI configuration and canned configurations.

I tried to follow a couple of examples of this online:

https://www.talk-about-it.ca/setup-bind9-with-isc-dhcp-server-dynamic-host-registration/

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19469-01/820-6410-12/app_example_dns.html

But couldn’t get either to work demonstrably.  Has anyone else managed to get this working, and if so, would they share the details of how they did it?

I’ve followed the steps and I’m not seeing any errors, but I’m not able to resolve the dynamic host names, either.  Some of the details of what I’ve tried are here:

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-workers/2020-December/003530.html

It’s probably something trivial but I can’t put my finger on it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Philip