ramips: Strange boot failures on TP-Link RE200v1

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:50:29 EST 2020

On 08/12/20 19:42, Andreas Böhler wrote:
> On 08/12/2020 00:53, Alberto Bursi wrote:
>>
>> On 08/12/20 00:12, Andreas Böhler wrote:
>>> I added TP-Link RE200v1 device support a few months ago. Currently, the
>>> snapshot builds are broken - they started to break about 4 weeks ago.
>>> The system does not even boot, the last output on serial is "Starting
>>> kernel ..." from U-Boot. The initramfs image works fine.
>>>
>>> The interesting thing is: all my local builds run perfectly fine, from
>>> RAM or from flash. If I sysupgrade to snapshot, even the snapshot build
>>> boots and runs fine as long as the device is not unplugged for longer
>>> than about a minute.
>>>
>>> As I can't reproduce this behaviour with my build, I'm out of ideas. Can
>>> someone give me an idea on what might cause this?
>>>
>> maybe the build defaults for buildbot are broken.
>>
>> You can enable that in the menu
>>
>> Global build settings  --->
>>
>> and then select
>>
>> Set build defaults for automatic builds (e.g. via buildbot)
>
> Interesting option that I wasn't aware of. Didn't change anything,
> though: my build still works properly.

you probably need to delete any compiled thing with

make dirclean

then reinstall all packages from the feeds

./scripts/feeds uninstall -a
./scripts/feeds clean
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a

and then you can recompile.

Otherwise it will just reuse things you have already compiled with
different options.

As Adrian said, that's more or less what the buildbot also does, each
time it starts from scratch in a clean build folder.

-Alberto