No subject

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:24:20 EDT 2020

On 23/08/20 05:06, Raylynn Knight via openwrt-devel wrote:
> 1.  Should I add each device individually?  Even if some of the devices are very closely related.

yes, add one device for each commit because it's easier to review,
although you should use common dts files for features that are the same,
like I did for zyxel NSA310/NSA325

> 2.  Like many of the already supported kirkwood devices updating to a more current version of u-boot would make supporting openwrt simpler.   I see that some of the existing devices have patches under package/boot/uboot-kirkwood/patches in the tree.  I can’t seem to locate any documentation indicating the procedures for adding u-boot support in that location.  The Makefile a directory above the patches indicates PKG_VERSION 2020.04.  Does this mean I should create my patches against u-boot version 2020.04?   If adding devices already supported by mainstream u-boot do I just add to that Makefile?   If adding devices currently unsupported by upstream u-boot is it required to submit a patch upstream as well?

the u-boot is handled like a package, if it is not already available
upstream you need to add a patch for each device you want to support,
and you must always add an entry in the makefile.

If some devices are supported by upstream uboot you will probably still
want to add a small patch to change default boot envs so it can boot
OpenWrt, like you see other patches do in that folder.

The uboot version is 2020.04

Upstreaming the change to uboot is welcome, but it does not seem
mandatory, at least none enforced that on me when I added uboot patches
for NSA310/325 and PogoPlugV4

> 3.  Is there an existing supported device that would be a good model for me to follow when adding additional devices?

If you want to provide an uboot and place the kernel in the UBI
partition, you can look at my commits where I added Zyxel NSA310b,
NSA325 and PogoPlug V4.

If you want to use stock uboot and place the kernel in the place where
stock firmware has the kernel, you can look at commit that added support
for "cisco on100".

-Alberto