Licensing an OpenWrt router - No response to Trademark use

Heppler, J. Scott shep971 at centurylink.net
Tue Aug 18 17:27:09 EDT 2020

request.
I sent an email to contact at openwrt.org, subject line Trademark Use
Request, inquiring about crowd funding an OpenWrt router.  I never
received a reply.  The email gave the background, links to forum
discussion and a poll and outlined the basic structure.  The contents:

"I've noticed that OpenWrt is used widely in SOHO routers without the
vendors providing much in the way of donations.  Additionally, vendors
are making it increasingly difficult; bootdelay = 0, disabled keyboard
input etc., to install OpenWrt.

Browsing Alibaba/Aliexpress, there are large numbers of Chinese vendors
offering routers with custom branding for purchases > 500.  Many offer
products with the same outward appearance/specs and I think the line
between resellers/OEM's is blurry.

This link is an example:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EP-RT2656-Wireless-Routers-1300mbps-compa
tible_62040312059.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.2.1ab67d83z4DNLg
This is recognizable as a device sold by Lenovo/D-team and is offered
with both u-boot/breed bootloader.

Comfast has used OpenWrt in the CF-WR618AC and CF-WR-610N routers.
http://en.comfast.com.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=16&id=24
Comfast uses OpenWrt and does not provide GPL'd source.
https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=58973

It occurred to me that one way to have an OpenWrt accessible router, and
support the project would be to crowd fund an OpenWrt Development router
and build in an OpenWrt donation into the cost.  It would be somewhat
like the PineBook Pro, orders taken and if a threshold met, a production
run is certified.  OpenWrt would license the logo and provide stable
firmware for initial flash and development firmware via download.  The
donations would be earmarked to support infrastructure or development
meetings (Like OpenBSD).

A poll was setup and run for 2 weeks:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/poll-interest-in-an-openwrt-purpose-built-router/692
95d
A prior thread where the idea was kicked around:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/advertising-and-selling-routers-with-openwrt-lede-in
stalled/12372/3
Some respondents wanted high end routers but I'm pushing for limiting
risk.

Would the project be interested in exploring this further?"

--
J. Scott Heppler