image size on 20.xx builds -- what about a new SMALL target

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh henrique at nic.br
Mon Aug 3 08:40:47 EDT 2020

On 02/08/2020 19:11, Daniel Golle wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 11:49:54PM +0200, Bjoern Franke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>> Your Filesystem has a size of 5.81M. MT7620 has a kernel size of around 2M, which exceeds the available space on flash.
>>
>> On 19.07.3, the listed lineup of packages has 5.54M and it fits:
>>
>> Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, xz compressed, data block size 262144
>> 	compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments,
>> 	no xattrs, compressed ids
>> 	duplicates are removed
>> Filesystem size 5674.78 Kbytes (5.54 Mbytes)
>> 	35.35% of uncompressed filesystem size (16051.56 Kbytes)
>> Inode table size 13736 bytes (13.41 Kbytes)
>> 	22.46% of uncompressed inode table size (61170 bytes)
>> Directory table size 17662 bytes (17.25 Kbytes)
>> 	44.53% of uncompressed directory table size (39661 bytes)
>>

>>> You can try to remove other packages (such as ppp) from the image. Stripping LuCI should also save a lot of space, given you only
>>> need it for the initial installation.
>>>

>> Yes, but I was wondering why the image gets 300Kb bigger on 20.xx.
>
> Apart from the usual kernel growth we have also enabled a bunch of
> previously disabled kernel features on targets which are not marked
> as SMALL_FLASH[1]. MT7620 is a mixed bag in that regard and it would
> make sense to split it similar to ath79 into a 'tiny' and a 'generic'
> variant. The 'mt7620-generic' variant could then also ship with NAND
> support and support for Xiami miRouter 3. The 'mt7620-tiny' variant
> would have SMALL_FLASH set and hence come without the features
> enabled in [1] which should give us ~ 200kB.
>
> [1]: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=fcb41decf6c622482b20af45a77e62db8d95046e

This sort of commit can easily be a problem even for 8MiB FLASH devices.

(Some?) vendors are adding a lot of cruft we can't simply jettison from
FLASH, e.g. the dual-bootloaders and "http recovery" stuff on TP-Link
Archer C60v3 and later, and I understand, several other of their models.

That effectively reduces usable FLASH enough to matter on 8MiB devices.
It is already a problem on OpenWrt 19.07 -- for anything that needs
FLASH-filling monsters like OpenSSL and ca-certificates, at least.

IMO, if things keep going that way (and there is no reason to believe
they would not -- or should not, for that matter), we would truly
benefit from a SMALL variant soon (not just TINY).  And by soon, I do
mean OpenWrt 20.x if at all possible :-(

Note that I AM NOT speaking against changes that end up increasing core
openwrt size.  I am just stating that such changes show the need of one
or two knobs for anything that is not possible to build as a "module"
kernel-side or as an optional package *and* isn't something you'd
strictly need on smaller devices.

There's TINY, but it removes too much -- being the single true/false
knob that exists ATM -- and it seems to be really set up for devices
with something like 3-5MiB usable FLASH.  It is also too useful to
drop/repurpose, so I am *not* suggesting that.

A new SMALL could target 5.5MiB to ~6.5MiB *usable* FLASH, IMHO.  One
would look at everything that is !TINY to see if it should also be
!SMALL, and review for !SMALL what already landed that increases the
static kernel size and always-installed package size.

For not-yet merged changes, you'd ask for !TINY and perhaps !SMALL if
they increase in any relevant way the static kernel size, or
always-installed package size.  Note that for TINY, 10KiB is already
relevant. For !SMALL I am not sure, but I'd say 50KiB as a first try.
And exceptional cases would only need a sufficiently good justification
in the commit log (as in, enough to convince the core team).

--
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh