[OpenWrt-Devel] Advice needed - Proper approach to port 5G/LTE modem into OpenWRT

Jeonghum Joh oosaprogrammer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 04:52:14 EDT 2020

Hello,

I am porting a 5G/LTE modem into OpenWRT.
The modem provider provided a connection manager (CM) linux daemon. This CM
sets up the usbnet adapter interface which is wwan0. And it brings data
connection via this interface wwan0. And after the bringup finished, it
sets up firewall rules and routing settings.
But during the CM is doing these jobs, the rest of the OpenWRT daemons do
their jobs too! - bring up network interfaces. set up the firewall rules.
and routing settings. etc.

But these two jobs ignores each other. So one configuration overwrites the
other. For example OpenWRT sets up the firewall as the /etc/config/firewall
declares. But the CM deletes these firewall settings and sets up it's own
settings.

I think the CM has to follow what others in OpenWRT follow. But, the
problem is .. I am afraid how I can figure out the rules that others follow
in OpenWRT.

Let me list up problems I think of .. :
- firewall settings on both side ignores each other.
- wwan0 I/F that the Modem brings gets up later than other I/Fs like eth0,
ra0, etc.. and even it gets brought up after the rest of the OpenWRT
daemons have finished their initial set up.

Is there any guide documentation I can refer to?
I'd like some documentation :
 - that guides how to port these modem in OpenWRT.
 - that guides how to start daemons in OpenWRT that has modem with.
 - that guides when something needs to be set up during
initializing/booting the OpenWRT that has modem with.

Thank you very much in advance.
Jeonghum