[OpenWrt-Devel] Uncompress image: trailing garbage ignored

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Thu Apr 23 12:50:50 EDT 2020

I have started to notice a gunzip warning when decompressing the
OpenWrt images I build. This is with master df27e949:

gunzip  openwrt/bin/targets/x86/64/openwrt-x86-64-generic-ext4-
combined.img.gz -c >/dev/null
gzip: openwrt-aquinas-git/bin/targets/x86/64/openwrt-x86-64-generic-
ext4-combined.img.gz: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored

Aside from the warning, gunzip exits with a code of 2. The gunzip man
page indicates that an exit code of 2 indicates a warning.

Is this a result of an intended change? Should I expect this to
continue? Are we sneaking a hash or signature in there? If so, I
suppose I will adjust some of the scripts I use to account for the
non-zero exit code.

--
Mike

:wq