[OpenWrt-Devel] Port labels for DSA targets/devices

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:06:55 EDT 2020

On 20/04/20 22:33, mail at adrianschmutzler.de wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> As for ath79, while many people agree that there should be a migration script/mechanism, it's hard to finally get one (since designing it is a much bigger problem than it seems at first hand).

I fully agree that doing a migration script that is anywhere near decent
for all possible switch configurations is a big undertaking.

I think the bare minimum to do before doing a breaking change like this
is to have warning messages on sysupgrade (both via CLI and web
interface) that stop the upgrade until the user has acknowledged the
warning.

So that people that don't follow mailing list or forum won't learn the
hard way they have just hosed their custom switch config (if any), and
that their device is now unreachable and useless until someone goes
there and throws an ethernet cable or serial to reconfigure it.

If you give a warning, people can just prepare an image with the Image
Builder where they add manually the config files to replicate their
setup in a sane way with DSA and send that image instead.

Or for the very least come ask in the forums what to do.

-Alberto