[OpenWrt-Devel] Configuration management for OpenWrt

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Wed Apr 8 17:07:42 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are some best practices for configuration
management of OpenWrt devices. I understand that it is fairly easy to
get/restore a backup of the etc/config folder, but though maybe there
are some smarter ways.

Ideally a local state (e.g. git repository) would deploy multiple
devices and automatically update them via a command (or even cron).

Other projects came up with solutions which seem to heavy for common
WiFi routers. Ansible[0] is great and all, however requires plenty of
Python to work conveniently. Then cloud-init[1] is Python as well, I
think even heavier on the client side than Ansible and also doesn't
seem to be the right use case.

Some time ago I came up with a MAC based init system[2] but that's not
really to keep things up to date.

Last thing I know of is the approach to convert folders into opkg
install-able packages[3], so whenever there is a new configuration all
pre-configured routers would install it via opkg. However this would
require an opkg cron on client device and building the config-packages
appear to be quite some overhead. On the other side it handles
authentication via usign keys.

Anyway, please recommend me a better way which I'm not aware of!

Best,
Paul

[0]: https://www.ansible.com/
[1]: https://cloud-init.io/