[OpenWrt-Devel] Is it possible to create two images for the same device with a different set of DEVICE_PACKAGES?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Apr 8 03:26:39 EDT 2020

Tomasz Maciej Nowak <tomek_n at o2.pl> writes:

> In include/kernel-defaults.mk there is
> INITRAMFS_EXTRA_FILES ?= $(GENERIC_PLATFORM_DIR)/image/initramfs-base-files.txt.
> Maybe You could add a logic for ignore files list if they exist. No other
> solution comes to my mind.

Thanks for the suggestion.  But I believe this file is used directly as
config to the initramfs builder in the kernel.  Extending the format
would mean modifying usr/gen_init_cpio.c in the kernel.  That's a bit
overkill IMHO.

I am probably ending up with the simplest solution: Dropping the large
firmware package from DEVICE_PACKAGES. Making defconfig images usable
for first-time installation is much more important than having every
necessary package included in the defconfig sysupgrade images.

Bjørn