[OpenWrt-Devel] QCA9994 outdoor 13km link

Koen Vandeputte koen.vandeputte at ncentric.com
Wed Sep 25 12:33:21 EDT 2019

On 25.09.19 17:14, support at maxnet.al wrote:
> This is long distance, 5km with 4 dishes on each side. They are all
> vertical and all chains have signal range -60 to -65.
>
> I don't have omni antennas. Is there a problem that i am using dishes?

I run dozens of long-range devices, and I'm seeing 2 issues in your setup:

1)

- Ack-to issues kick in starting from roughly 1000m.  When you cannot
alter ack_to (coverage class), you will notice severe performance issues
above 1000m

2)

- Using identical polarization on all chains is an absolute performance
killer.

I have 2 devices,  both 2x2 802.11n, HT40 SGI, which are only 150m
apart, all chains V polarized.

When running speedtests, inspecting ath9k rate control shows it is stuck
at the max speed for 1 chain (iso 2)

In my case it means the absolute link rate is 130Mbit iso 270 in this
configuration.

I can imagine using 4 chains will even reduce performance a lot more.

You should really try to use use H + V+ (-45) + (+45).

Also, ensure radio's at both sides have the chains on identical
polarization. (Chain0 - V,  Chain1 - H, ..)

Regards,

Koen