[OpenWrt-Devel] Network broken with kernels 5.2+

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Oct 28 18:28:18 EDT 2019

On 10/28/19 11:01 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> Using OpenWrt with kernels 5.2+ results in broken network. Interfaces
> seem OK but I cannot ping my router anymore.
>
> This regression is caused by the upstream commit
>
> commit b424e432e770d6dd572765459d5b6a96a19c5286 (refs/bisect/bad)
> Author: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek at suse.cz>
> Date:   Thu May 2 16:15:10 2019 +0200
>
>     netlink: add validation of NLA_F_NESTED flag
>
> Reverting that commit from the top of 5.2 or 5.3 fixes network for me.
>
> Any ideas what's wrong with OpenWrt & above change?

Hi,

The kernel validates now the netlink messages, probably we send
something invalid.

Do you get an error message somewhere in the network configuration?
Does it work when you configure the interface manually with ip-tiny?

I saw such a message when iw send a wrong message to mac80211 from
backports for the antenna configuration because I did not update the
nl80211.h file.

Hauke