[OpenWrt-Devel] script hook for odhcpd

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 21:44:45 EST 2019

On 10/11/19 03:41, Hans Dedecker wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 2:43 AM Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm adding hotplug.d support to all DHCP events.
>> For now only dnsmasq triggers them, with
>> openwrt/package/network/services/dnsmasq/files/dhcp-script.sh
>>
>> DHCP clients like udcpc and udcp6c are easy to add as the client calls
>> a script hook with documented arguments and environment
>> variables I can pass to scripts in hotplug.d/dhcp.
>>
>> I'm not finding anything useful for odhcpd.
>>
>> It does have a similar script,
>> openwrt/package/network/services/odhcpd/files/odhcpd-update
>> that is called "lease trigger", and currently just calls dnsmasq to
>> reload hosts file.
>>
>> It does not seem to be called with any argument or environmental variable I
>> can use for hotplug scripts.
> That's correct; odhcpd has no hotplug script support at the moment
> triggered by DHCP(v6) lease changes.
>> I can also use its ubus API to get a list of ipv4 leases or ipv6 leases.
>>
>> Did I miss something? Any ideas to implement DHCP hotplug in ipv6 server?
> What is your exact use case ?
>
> Hans

I don't have an usecase for DHCP server lease events, so it's fine for me.

I started looking into this to have a working hotplug for DHCP client
events on IPv4

(for a custom dynamic-DNS-like setup without having to poll WAN IP on a
loop).

I've though that if someone has added hotplug to DHCP server in ipv4
then it might make sense for IPv6 too

-Alberto