[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] ath79: Removal of GL.iNet AR300M NAND Target

Marty E. Plummer hanetzer at startmail.com
Sun May 19 18:26:52 EDT 2019

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 12:44:18PM -0700, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> I'm in the process of porting the AR750S to the ath79 target with
> SPI-NAND support now available on Linux 4.19[1].
>
> From what I can tell, the AR300M (NAND) target, while it builds,
> does not provide a functional image with either Linux 4.14 or 4.19
> as there has not been and is not yet an applicable SPI-NAND driver
> built by OpenWrt[2].
>
> While the ar71xx target had various patches to provide an SPI-attached
> NAND driver, at least as I understand it, these were rejected for the
> ath79 target in favor of the upstream SPI-NAND framework that would
> become available[2,3].
>
> While there is support for the GigaDevice E-series SPI NAND already
> backported to OpenWrt under Linux 4.19[4] and I have submitted patches to
> support the F-series chips upstream[5], I have been told that some of the
> AR300M units also shipped with Paragon SPI NAND[6], for which there is no
> upstream driver support at this time.
>

> As there is no bootable image produced, I would like to remove
> the AR300M (NAND) target from the ath79 tree at this time. The AR300M
> would remain on the ath79 generic (NOR) target.
>
> The intention is that the AR300M (NAND) would be reinstated once
> proper driver support is available.
>

> ======================
> If you have objections to this course of action, please let me know.

Nah. Worst case is we have to dig the commmit log and pull the data back
out. That's the great thing about git.

> Also, if you have an AR300M with the Paragon SPI NAND that you would
> be able to assist me in testing development of an upstream-supported
> driver, please also let me know.

I do believe my particular ar300m is paragon based, and I'm more than
willing to assist wherever I can. I was under the impression that
bbrezelion or however you spell it was working on a generic spi-nand
driver?