[OpenWrt-Devel] Time to move on from 4.14 to 4.19?

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon May 13 17:41:52 EDT 2019

On 5/12/19 10:37 PM, Daniel Engberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what the current release roadmap is but since 19.X release
> seems to slipping perhaps it's time to move working targets to 4.19 as
> 4.14 has barely 6 months away before EoL status since there seems to be
> a rather strong opinion for "LTS" releases/branches?

Hi,

I assume that the kernel 4.14 support will be extended till 2014, Greg
said some time ago that he will maintain one kernel per year for the
next 5 years, mostly for Android.

Switching now to kernel 4.19 would shift our timeline for the next
release by multiple months in addition. I would prefer if we branch off
the release after our meeting in Hamburg next month and use kernel 4.14.

For the release after that I am not sure if we should take 4.19 or even
5.3 or whatever will be the next LTS kernel. It will probably be done
somewhere in the first half of 2020, so we should have about 6 months to
stabilize 5.3

Hauke