[OpenWrt-Devel] ipq40xx: bootarg Manipulation Failing

Jeff Kletsky lede at allycomm.com
Fri Mar 15 12:02:22 EDT 2019

On 3/14/19 3:39 PM, Jeff Kletsky wrote:

> I'm trying to bring up an IPQ4019-based Linksys EA8300 and have a
> challenge with the OEM bootargs from U-Boot. While they could be
> modified once in OpenWrt, I'm hoping to provide a serial-less way
> for users to easily flash OpenWrt from the OEM web interface.
>
> [...]
>
> TL;DR
> =====
>
>   * I've tried 0067-generic-Mangle-bootloader-s-kernel-arguments.patch
>     It doesn't seem to be able to modify the FDT
>
>   * Can I better confirm if atags_to_fdt() is executing?
>
>   * If it is executing, what am I not doing properly to modify the FDT?
>
>   * If it is not executing:
>     * Is there an example of command-line modification in `init`?
>     * Is there a better way, short of changing U-Boot, to make the
> change?
> [...]

While still something of a puzzle, I've been able to find a solution
in early `init`.

For future manipulations of this sort, working in `init/` where there
are fuller memory-management facilities, access to richer C calls,
in-built command-line parsing, as well as a console to be able to
more easily trace and understand execution flow.

Jeff