[OpenWrt-Devel] Trunk tl wdr4900 v1 boot fails on bootloader CRC check

Christian Lamparter chunkeey at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 09:31:05 EDT 2019

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 1:06:24 PM CET Sami Olmari wrote:
> So, current trunk for tp-link WDR4900 v1 fails to boot properly. It fails
> bootloader CRC check.
>
> Serial log:
>
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 02000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-4.14.105
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    2908775 Bytes = 2.8 MiB
>    Load Address: 01000000
>    Entry Point:  01000588
>    Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
>
> This happends on snapshot downloadable from openwrt site as well as latest
> as of now buildroot trunk image. Also no matte do one upload an sysupgrade
> for updating workin openwrt image or throw in factory image with
> serial+tftp recovery, endresult is same.
>
> I'm trying to narrow down at what commit exactly this got broken, but this
> will take some time... My initial suspect would be around commit
> 576c69938bb38c7edfa23f220eb30cb5c1d0a726 but I might be wrong...
>
> Anyway I wanted to report this ASAP as it will brick any WDR4900 v1 out
> there still existing :)

Pawel Dembicki has already started a PR about this some time ago.
<https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1773>
|Boot command read only 0x29F000 data from flash.
|Bigger images causes crc error. It can't be changed.

And there's a round-about way of making it work too.
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1773#issuecomment-461082045

However, It's not like you can just come up with something unless
you want to invest your own time to hunt down a viable fix.

Regards,
Christian