[OpenWrt-Devel] Why ath79 has been made source-only on 19.07?

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Tue Jul 30 12:07:35 EDT 2019

Dmitry Tunin <hanipouspilot at gmail.com> [2019-07-30 15:29:27]:

> > e) if you want to use ath79, you should use snapshot images (and expect support) or
> >    build 19.07 for ath79 yourself (but don't expect much support)
>
> Are you taking in account that many devices added during the last year
> as ath79 won't be supported by a stable release.

It was made clear, that ath79 is being prepared for the next stable release,
release after 19.07.

> Master is no good now for normal use.

Can you explain why not? I'm not aware about any critical issues on ath79. How
are we going to prepare ath79 in possibly best shape for the next release, if
we now provide ath79 images in 19.07? Users would simply stick to stable
images and snapshots would get less testing.

> Initially ath79 was expected in 19.07

Why did you expected that? All I know is following[1]:

 "The next release after 19.01 would be planned for the summer or fall 2019,
  this release will be based on kernel 4.19, all targets have to be upgrade to
  kernel 4.19 by then. This release will probably not contain ar71xx any more,
  but only ath79 for these boards."

By making ar71xx source-only in master, it was made explicit, that ar71xx is
not going to be updated, being stuck on 4.14 kernel and thus won't be part of
the next stable release.

> Are you serious that space is an issue?

Indeed, we need to consider everything. Disk space is one of the resources[2].

1. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2018-November/014526.html
2. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2019-July/001111.html

-- ynezz