[OpenWrt-Devel] INSTALL_SUID macro

Jeff Kletsky lede at allycomm.com
Tue Jan 22 11:43:01 EST 2019

On 1/22/19 3:26 AM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Hi Jo,
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was happy to see the addition of the INSTALL_SUID macro and now
> wonder if it'd make sense to use fakeroot in order to allow installing
> files for different users as well. For now, all files in rootfs are
> always owned by root:root, and sometimes this is not what we want.

The ability to easily have services running with reduced privileges
would be a welcome change. While I have also written some rather ugly
scripts to change ownership at first boot, such a change would allow
OpenWrt to ship and packages to install in an arguably more secure
configuration.

For packages, it would seem that some changes in opkg might be needed to
manage the proper additions to users/groups, as well as setting
ownership and access during install. Personally, it wouldn't bother me
if the added users/groups were not removed if the package was removed.

Jeff