[OpenWrt-Devel] INSTALL_SUID macro

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Tue Jan 22 06:26:23 EST 2019

Hi Jo,
Hi everyone,

I was happy to see the addition of the INSTALL_SUID macro and now
wonder if it'd make sense to use fakeroot in order to allow installing
files for different users as well. For now, all files in rootfs are
always owned by root:root, and sometimes this is not what we want.
I'm currently working around this by fixing permissions at run-time on
the target, which is a bit ugly. Other distributions use fakeroot for
having the option of packaging files to be owned by different users.
See [1] for my current ugly work-around this missing packaging feature.

Let me know what you are thinking and if it would be feasible to add
fakeroot (or another way) to have non-root:root owned files installed
or packaged.

Cheers

Daniel

[1]: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/gnunet/files/gnunet.init#L15