[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq: Netgear DM200 kernel too large

Thomas Nixon tom at tomn.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 19:11:21 EST 2019

On 1/21/19, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
> Paul Oranje <por at oranjevos.nl> writes:
>>> Op 20 jan. 2019, om 17:52 heeft Thomas Nixon <tom at tomn.co.uk> het
>>> volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> I could add a new subtarget like xrx200 but with small_flash enabled, but
>>> this
>>> seems a bit excessive for a single board. The DM200 has generally been a
>>> pain
>>> to support, and there are better options out there, so I wonder if it
>>> makes
>>> more sense to just drop it.
>>
>> Some people use this modem, so dropping its support will not please
>> everybody.
>> Supporting it as a small flash device seems the right approach.
>
> I wonder about those better options...  What are they?

In the UK at least BT OpenReach modems are available very cheaply second hand
and are in theory a bit better, for a few reasons.

I'm not sure if all of them can run openwrt, but after some reflection I'm not
that concerned by this. They will do PPPoE so you don't really need to touch
them, and you can consider them to be outside your network. There therefore
isn't a huge security advantage to replacing the OS, especially when they're
running plenty of proprietary firmware in either case.

Hopefully we can keep supporting them anyway.

Thanks,

Tom