[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq: Netgear DM200 kernel too large

Thomas Nixon tom at tomn.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 11:52:59 EST 2019

Hi,

With a recent snapshot my Netgear DM200 failed to boot because the bootloader
only loads the first 2MiB of the kernel into memory before booting, while the
kernel image has grown to 2.017MiB.

This is obviously Not Good, but I'm not sure what to do about it. What do you
think is the best way to deal with this?

This probably isn't an issue on other boards; the only other xrx200 board with
a KERNEL_SIZE set is the fritz3370 at 4096k, so messing with the kernel config
for all xrx200 boards seems a bit silly.

I could add a new subtarget like xrx200 but with small_flash enabled, but this
seems a bit excessive for a single board. The DM200 has generally been a pain
to support, and there are better options out there, so I wonder if it makes
more sense to just drop it.

For anyone else with this problem ("Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC") who
just needs it to work, I modified the uboot `bootcmd` variable:

old:

    sleep 1;nmrp;sf probe 0:3;sf read $loadaddr 0x30000 0x200000;bootm $loadaddr

new:

    sleep 1;nmrp;sf probe 0:3;sf read $loadaddr 0x30000 0x400000;bootm $loadaddr

Thanks,

Tom