[OpenWrt-Devel] Preserving configs over sysupgrade on ath79/tiny broken for some boards (on 19.07 and master), possible solutions

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 21:30:34 EST 2019

On 31/12/19 16:29, Paul Fertser wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 04:20:29PM +0100, David Bauer wrote:
>>> If no users speak up probably it's better to remove all the support
>>> code altogether to avoid wasting maintainers' time on it?
>>
>> The code is not really an issue, as there's not much code dedicated for 4M
>> devices. It's mostly their device-tree, which is maintainable compared to the previous
>> ar71xx boardfiles.
>
> It's still an effort. People spend time writing patches, reviewers
> spend time reviewing, maintainers spend time merging and we're now
> spending time discussing.

People that want to drop something are always under the impression that
people that are active on X will be just as active on Y when you drop X.
It's not usually the case.

In this case most of the complex work is writing patches and pretty much
none of the core developers work on that.
Random contributors will be random, if you drop support they won't
magically redirect their efforts to something else, they will fork
OpenWrt and patch their own fork to support better their own devices.

>> As many people still use these 4M devices
>
> Judging by the amount of replies from active users to my mail
> (apparently zero), not many.

He said that people that care about 4M devices are mostly on OpenWrt
forum, and it's kind of rude to just cut that part out and not read it.

A LOT of OpenWrt userbase does not follow the mailing lists (or even
know what a mailing list is), so if you want to have the full picture
please visit the forum as well.

-Alberto