[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] use Debian like release channel identifiers?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Aug 26 04:08:15 EDT 2019

Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> writes:

> as 19.07 is *just around the corner* I was wondering if there's a
> better way of distinguishing between versions.
>
> Right now, I see 4 different *channels* which somewhat match the
> Debian style, therefore a possible mapping:
>
> 18.06.N -> stable
> 19.07-rcN -> testing
> 19.07-SNAPSHOT -> unstable
> SNAPSHOT -> experimental

This looks fine right now.  But such mappings tend to confuse users over
time, when "stable" suddenly is redefined to 19.07.1, 22.09.1 etc.  And
what do you call 18.06.97 when 22.09.1 is "stable"?

Debian had a long discussion about dropping code names in favour of
release versions recently See:
https://lwn.net/Articles/792646/

I am not sure if they have reached any conclusion.  But I believe we
should think about the possible drawbacks here before deciding to change
the release naming yet again.  I for one would prefer any scheme which
lasted more than 2 releases....

Bjørn