[OpenWrt-Devel] ath9k: mtd-cal-data vs firmware bin file

Chuanhong Guo gch981213 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:06:19 EDT 2019

Hi!

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:59 PM Michal Cieslakiewicz
<michal.cieslakiewicz at wp.pl> wrote:
> /etc/hotplug.d/firmware/10-ath9k-eeprom for these routers just extracts
> 4k of calibration data from ART to bin file in /lib/firmware. I
> compared bin file to mtd area and they are identical. Why ath9k cannot
> use this data directly accessing /dev/mtd6? Is that 'mtd-cal-data' dts
> option for? If so, why does it not work in this case? (tested, ath9k
> initialization ends with error)

mtd-cal-data is part of a local hack for wmac devices only:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/kernel/mac80211/patches/ath/552-ahb_of.patch;h=1170fc64bd9092d374ee78285060b504a699b720;hb=HEAD
It loads calibration data and create an ath9k_platform_data struct.

>I recall there was no such operation in ar71xx target

In ar71xx, calibration data is loaded through ath9k_platform_data for
newer wifi cards and for older cards, there's a piece of code feeding
caldata in arch/mips/ath79/pci-ath9k-fixup.c before ath9k loads (in
ath79 and lantiq this is replaced by owl-loader).

Regards,
Chuanhong Guo