[OpenWrt-Devel] Review and cleanup of base packages

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Tue Aug 13 06:12:39 EDT 2019

Mathias Kresin <dev at kresin.me> [2019-08-11 11:16:12]:

Hi,

> Personally I prefer to have some debug tools I use regularly, like tcpdump,
> iftop and iperf*, in the base packages. During development I don't include
> the feeds.

I don't include the feeds either as simple symlink just works.

> Rather I would like to see the tool "io", which allows memory/register
> manipulation, included in the base packages. Quite handy tool during driver
> debugging/development.

Indeed, I use it as well:

 ln -s $PWD/../packages.git/utils/io package/utils/io
 echo CONFIG_PACKAGE_io=y >> .config

So I don't think, that the package should be included in the base tree, just
because we would like to use it.

> >   network/config/ltq-vdsl-app
>
> At least this one is referenced in target/linux/lantiq/xrx200/target.mk
>
> >   utils/fritz-tools
>
> The fritz-tools "meta" package provides the fritz-tffs package, which is
> included at least by target/linux/lantiq/Makefile.

Thanks for reviewing that list, those packages simply slipped through my
grepping session.

-- ynezz