[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 19.03 plans

Vincent Wiemann vincent.wiemann at ironai.com
Tue Apr 9 07:53:14 EDT 2019

Hi Bjørn,

routers are critical infrastructure. We should try to achieve the best we can.
One of the reasons for the Lede split was that problems were procrastinated
and accumulated over the release timeline.
That's the reason why we should release less often, but with a higher quality.

If problems delay a release that is a sign of taking responsibility.

Some time ago a friend of mine told me that they have a problem with tickets that
nobody wants to take care of. I told him when those tickets appear he
should automatically assign them to all people with highest priority after a due
date even if it is a minor issue. Productivity has increased rapidly since then.

If a device is not supported in a specific release, that might give someone the
stimulus to sit down and get this device working again.
E.g. many devices have a partition layout on which a bigger kernel does not fit.
It is possible to change the partition layout in most cases requiring a modification
of the U-Boot boot environment variable. So hard it sounds unfortunately someone
needs to be urged to do it. It's the same with porting ar71xx to ath79...
When we stop generating ar71xx images some device owners wonder why there is no
new release for it. They become aware that they need to sort of add support for
this device as if it was a new device support and they might do it.
Urging is a bad word, but we need to motivate people to do changes which are not
of the fun kind or we might end up in a mess again.

Regards,

Vincent Wiemann