[OpenWrt-Devel] running docker on openwrt?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Sep 30 07:59:23 EDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 12:21:12PM +0200, Torbjorn Jansson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> a question, is it possible to run docker on openwrt?
> reason for asking is that i got a raspberrypi running openwrt and it got
> plenty of storage space and is mostly sitting idle so if i can run docker on
> it i might be able to consolidate some of the other pis i have for various
> purposes.
>
> i know you can do it the other way around, running openwrt in a docker
> instance on a regular computer but can you get docker itself to run under
> openwrt?
>
> ideas, suggestions?

Just use LXC, that works well on OpenWrt, I'm using that to run various
containers running Debian and OpenWrt on top of OpenWrt.
(but you need to compile it yourself because many of the kernel options
needed for containers aren't enabled by default)

Docker didn't attract a lot of interest because it is x86_64 and
ARM-only, so 80% of OpenWrt-supported devices aren't supported by
Docker which doesn't provide images for MIPS-like CPUs.

However, now that Golang has been added to the packages feed we could
package Docker at least for the platforms supported by it...