[OpenWrt-Devel] dnsmasq stops receiving packets after network restart

Kristian Evensen kristian.evensen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:38:04 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM Kristian Evensen
<kristian.evensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
> > does the same happen without "bind-dynamic" ? My hunch is that dnsmasq
> > fails to "resubscribe" to the socket after the ifindex of br-lan changed
> > due to the network restart (which will destroy and recreate br-lan).
>
> bind-dynamic seems indeed to be the trigger. Disabling bind-dynamic
> makes the problem go away.

I have been testing some more and I can now trigger the problem
locally as well. However, I don't quite know how I managed to trigger
the issue. Still, I think I have discovered something. When I restart
network, there are two different outcomes for the dnsmasq process - it
is either killed (SIGTERM, trying to identify process) or nor. The
error always happens when the process is not killed. When dnsmasq dies
and is restarted, DHCP continues to work as normal.

BR,
Kristian