[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 19.01 plans

Koen Vandeputte koen.vandeputte at ncentric.com
Wed Sep 26 03:38:31 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-23 00:42, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We talked about plans for the next OpenWrt releases in this mail thread:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2018-July/000849.html
> This mail is more or less a summary of the conclusions, this is still
> open for change especially the dates as this depends on people having
> time to do the work.
>
> The next release, lets call it OpenWrt 19.01, should happen in January
> 2019, we would branch off from master in December 2018. This is the
> current plan, but based on past experience it could also happen later.
>
> OpenWrt 19.01 will ship with kernel 4.14 only, we encourage everyone to
> update the targets to kernel 4.14, support for kernel 4.19 will probably
> be added to OpenWrt master soon, but we will not select it as the
> default kernel for any target till OpenWrt 19.01 is branched off, to get
> more testing on 4.14. The release after 19.01, which should happen in
> late summer 2019, should then use kernel 4.19 only.
>
> For OpenWrt 19.01 GCC will stay on the 7.X branch, binutils and musl
> already got some upgrades after the 18.06 release and could get some
> more updates.
>
> We are currently working on updating the wireless drivers and getting
> them closer to upstream. The wireless driver in OpenWrt 19.01 will be
> taken from kernel 4.19 or later and we want to update them more
> frequently in master.
>
> Otherwise we will have the normal changes in all places like with every
> release.
>
> LEDE 17.01 will get security updates and occasional bug fixes till
> OpenWrt 19.01 was released, but we encourage everyone to upgrade to
> 18.06 to get full security support already now, as especially some of
> the packages are not well maintained any more.
>
> Hauke

Hi Hauke,
Hi All,

Some targets are still on (EOL) kernel 3.18 today.
This kernel also still exists by the grace of Greg K-H but could be
dropped any moment.

I've bumped it a few times (untested) just for the sake of security updates.
But afaict, nobody attempted/requested to update these to a newer kernel
version.

These targets were also dropped in 18.06 branch.
Maybe we should also consider dropping support for these targets in master?

adm5120
xburst
mcs814x
au1000
ppc40x
adm8668
ppc44x

The other items mentioned in the planning sound logical and sane to me.

Regards,

Koen