[OpenWrt-Devel] UBIFS issues within kernel 4.14.69?

Koen Vandeputte koen.vandeputte at ncentric.com
Sun Sep 16 16:11:07 EDT 2018

On 16-09-18 21:39, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Koen,
>
> Am Samstag, 15. September 2018, 09:13:09 CEST schrieb Richard Weinberger:
>> Koen,

>>> Reverting ("ubifs: xattr: Don't operate on deleted inodes") fixes the
>>> weird issues.
>> Thanks for finding that bad commit!
>> I fear by fixing one bug I've uncovered another one.
>>
>> So, I guess you are using overlayfs?
>> Which overlayfs features are you using?
> I guess I've figured myself.
> overlayfs is using temp files (O_TMPFILE), and a recent overlayfs
> feature uses xattrs to indicate directory redirects.
> So it can happen that a temp file, which has link count 0, gains
> xattrs.
>
> UBIFS models xattrs like regular files in directories. Since you cannot
> add new files to a unlinked directory, UBIFS kind of enforced that for
> xattrs too.
> I say "kind of" because technically it works but can trigger an assertion
> in UBIFS's journal code.
> Recently I saw this assertion but failed to conclude that xattr operations on
> unlinked files are perfectly fine and "fixed" the assert.
>
> The right solution is reverting "ubifs: xattr: Don't operate on deleted inodes"
> and removing the false positive asserts from UBIFS' journal code.
>
> Sadly xfstests does not test for that, I'll prepare a new test case.
> Maybe other file systems got this wrong too.
>
> Thanks,
> //richard

Hi Richard,

Apologies for the late reply.
It was a busy weekend with the kids ..

I'm very pleased to read you already have a good idea of what is going
on here.

Can I conclude you will provide a patch upstream to revert this specific
commit?
Please keep me in CC in case you do, so I can backport it properly into
OpenWrt on the next kernel bump. (until it is present in a future stable)

Once again, I highly appreciate you fast response in trying to get this
fixed.

Thank you Richard,

Koen

Reported-by: Koen Vandeputte <koen.vandeputte at ncentric.com>