[OpenWrt-Devel] GitHub and -devel; differentiating between voting committers and random community comments

Daniel F. Dickinson cshore at thecshore.com
Fri Sep 14 17:07:17 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-14 11:18 a.m., Karl Palsson wrote:
> "Daniel F. Dickinson" <cshore at thecshore.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This isn't my first preference, but I think this is becoming a
>> bit of a problem, especially for people not all that familiar
>> with who's who in OpenWrt.
>>
>> I've noticed that community (vs. voting committers) often jump
>> in with (presumably well-meant) advice that might not actually
>> match what voting committers want (e.g. on a patch or for
>> policy), and for those not familiar with emails and names of
>> the voting OpenWrt team this can lead to changing patches or
>> PR's in ways that are counter-productive to actually getting
>> merged.
>>
>> I'm not a voting member myself, so this isn't necessarily going
>> to help me get heard, but I'd also hate for someone take me as
>> canonical advice in contrast to a voting committer. I know some
>> community members can be quite helpful, but others tend to
>> sounding authoritative while not being an 'official' openwrt
>> team member, which leads to mis-perception (in my view) about
>> what the project would like to see.
> The comments in github show this for you already:

I mostly read the github notifications on email, which doesn't include
the info.  Guess that's something I'll have to submit to GitHub to see
about getting changed.

> if it shows "Contributor" it's just "someone" THey might be a
> regular contributor, but they're not a committer. if it shows
> "Member" they have commit rights.
>
> What people choose to do with that information is up to them
> though really.

Of course, but I think that, especially newbies, tend to think that
anyone who speaks with an "authoritative voice" is actually representing
the project and not their own opinion.   As much as I want my voice and
opinion heard and taken into consideration, I wouldn't intentionally
represent myself as the voice of the project, and find it frustrating
when others, sometimes names I've never seen before on the list, write
(intentionally or not) as if it were up to them, and actually seen folks
frustrated by altering commits to fit such an answer, while, once a
voting committers weighs in, is actually disadvantageous to getting merged.

Regards,

Daniel