[OpenWrt-Devel] GitHub and -devel; differentiating between voting committers and random community comments

Daniel F. Dickinson cshore at thecshore.com
Fri Sep 14 10:26:23 EDT 2018

Hi,

This isn't my first preference, but I think this is becoming a bit of a
problem, especially for people not all that familiar with who's who in
OpenWrt.

I've noticed that community (vs. voting committers) often jump in with
(presumably well-meant) advice that might not actually match what voting
committers want (e.g. on a patch or for policy), and for those not
familiar with emails and names of the voting OpenWrt team this can lead
to changing patches or PR's in ways that are counter-productive to
actually getting merged.

I'm not a voting member myself, so this isn't necessarily going to help
me get heard, but I'd also hate for someone take me as canonical advice
in contrast to a voting committer.  I know some community members can be
quite helpful, but others tend to sounding authoritative while not being
an 'official' openwrt team member, which leads to mis-perception (in my
view) about what the project would like to see.

Regards,

Daniel