[OpenWrt-Devel] Mac address randomization on rsPro ath79

Weedy weedy2887 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 00:40:34 EDT 2018

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 at 22:46, matt merhar <mattmerhar at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
Hello, I replied to you on IRC but like 2 days later :V

> Due to the switch to using devicetree in ath79, it became necessary to
> populate the MAC addresses via userland during first boot. This is done
> using target/linux/ath79/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network,
> specifically:
>
>         ubnt,routerstation|\
>         ubnt,routerstation-pro)
>                 wan_mac=$(fconfig -s -r -d $(find_mtd_part "RedBoot config") -n ar7100_esa)
>                 lan_mac=$(macaddr_add "$wan_mac" 1)
>
> This said, I can think of a few potential reasons for your
> /etc/config/network to lack the 'macaddr' option for lan/wan interfaces:
>
> 1.) Rather than modify the UCI network config generated at first boot,
> the config was instead overwritten with those from an ar71xx install
> (uploading via scp, .tar.gz via LuCI, cat >, etc.)
I use $topdir/flies/

> 2.) Using sysupgrade -F and preserving the old config while migrating
> from ar71xx -> ath79
> 2.) Building your own image and deselecting the 'fconfig' utility which
> is necessary to read the base MAC address from the RedBoot config
> partition
Now this is interesting because I use defconfig. I don't mind adding
fconfig to my scripts, but then why isn't defconfig picking that up?

buildImage () {
    make V=99 defconfig && \
    nice -n 7 make V=1 -j4 || exit 1
}
    cat configs/rsPRO-home-repeater.config > .config
    buildImage
    scp bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-ubnt_routerstation-pro-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
root at repeater.lan:/tmp/

$ cat configs/rsPRO-home-repeater.config
CONFIG_TARGET_ath79=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_ubnt_routerstation-pro=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_wpad=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_wpad-mini=n
CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ATH_DFS=y