[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:39:03 EST 2018

On 12/11/18 21:57, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> Totally agree with Luiz. That was the idea behind this proposal and
> you managed to even easier words.
>
> Alberto, the tiny subtarget you mentioned doesn't really seem to run
> well or stably for 18.06 on many of these devices regardless the flash
> size, that's the main point.
> As mentioned there are many new devices still coming with 32MB of RAM
> and which can take benefit of OpenWrt for various reasons and usages.
> I think for many of us here are completely fine to put some extra cash
> and buy a newer hardware to cope with OpenWrt evolution but the
> reality is that majority of people are not. Another example I wanted
> to put to illustrate is an ISP that has thousands of existing devices
> with similar specs running, being still able to keep using OpenWrt
> more securely while they start to introduce newer hardware to their
> customer base allowing to make a more smooth transition to these more
> powerful hardware.

I quite frankly don't believe it's worth allocating what limited
manpower there is. While I'm not a OpenWrt developer and I don't speak
on behalf of the project, I really believe that you are underestimating
the effort required behind even a basic LTS release like a "only core
packages" or such. I think that if translated into man-hours (and
therefore money) it would amount to much higher than just letting
devices go EOL and have people replace them.

The ISP can pay for someone to do this job if they think really need it
(but imho it would be better to spend their funds in newer hardware,
besides they should have planned for hardware obsolescence already).

As a point of comparison, even Debian that is far larger than OpenWrt
only agreed to extend the support period for its old release (which is a
"mostly core packages" affair too, kernel, basic userspace and server
software) after some sponsors showed up and paid for it.

-Alberto